Today I’ve decided to remove the FeedBurner Statistics icon (i.e. this one). Now today I see that it’s still hovering around 14 , and I don’t think that it is really worth showing off. So here is my brain fart aka stream of consciousness about displaying FeedBurner Icons.
Again, What is FeedBurner
If I lost you at FeedBurner, then you should probably check this post “What is RSS and why should I use it“.
Reasons not to show stats or have RSS.
- It can be a discouraging for new members who might think because only 14 readers subscribe then it’s not worth subscribing.
- It can also been seen as a bragging tool, “yippee I have 100 readers checking me out, so you should too“, aka I’m great.
- Not everyone uses RSS readers (but they should, esp. if they have many many blogs they read) so it’s not necessary.
- You don’t want people to read your posts in a reader, rather you want them to visit you website (and click ads etc.)
Reasons to Show
- It shows that other people do like reading your blog, and they are more likely to do so too.
- It’s an extra value added service. Having RSS feeds is something some users expect.
- Ease of use for your readers. You readers can easily find out when you have a new article posted.
What will I do
I read somewhere last week about some other blogger (sorry I don’t remember who it was for a cross link :() who said they won’t display their stats until their readership reaches 100. Now I think this figure is on the high side, so I will be waiting until I hit 50-60 subscribers before I will display the stats.
Your Take on this
So what do you think about RSS, and displaying FeedBurner subscriber count, or even offering full RSS feeds ?